Wednesday 1 February 2017

There's a draft in here...

Except this is a short story, not a big book
This is exciting.  I have a draft, and it's now a revised draft that I'm happy to spread about.

I'm also happy to spread it about freely, because I'm fairly sure I'll be giving it away for free when I come to properly publish it via the proper publishing thing I'm looking at.  First one's always free, and if I can get more than 2 people to download it, I'll count that as a win.

Clicky link here for the revised draft.

It's just shy of 5k in terms of words.  I think that's not too shabby.  You can read it and leave it at that, and I'd really welcome some feedback, mostly on the whole 'doctor' 'Dr' issue that presented itself.

Of course, there's a back-story and a trail of inspiration which might give you a window on how my mind works these things out.  Read on below, with spoilers...





I saw this video.  It flew past on Facebook on my phone over the Christmas break.  I know it's ridiculous on many levels (see below), and it didn't actually make me download the ridiculous game, but it got me thinking, and that really is a dangerous thing.

Starting with these so-called "SEXY THICK WOMEN", I got to thinking about kissing bottoms, which is a little bit of a thing for me, not a massive thing, but a bit of a thing.  Then I got to thinking about why I was kissing bottoms, and the juxtaposition with technology kicked in.  I've previously explored themes of technological submission in another incarnation over on Flickr, so that got triggered too.  Then I thought a shy girl, with a big bottom, with some technology, and people kiss the bottom.  I'm not sure any of that really follows any kind of logic, but that is the kind of thing that my head can produce given half the chance.  

Anyway, the result is a gentle story about a girl named Sam discovering that there are people in this world who like her bottom, if you know where to look, and if the lecturers at your University are secretly up to all kinds of kinky shenanigans.  It's mostly the shenanigans, really.  Click the link up there to read the draft.  I'll let it stew for a bit, make some cover art, then actually get it out there to people who may or may not become my fans.  I figure if the author of the 'Horny Hordes of Women' series (22 books in total) can get 62 followers on the site, I should be able to get at least one or two.

Oh, yes, the ridiculousness of the video.  Short-ish, fairly feminist rant ahead:  It's ridiculous.  Don't say how wonderful it is that these larger women have so much body-positivity and they're actually really hot, despite being so big.  Those two italicised words are bad enough, but it goes beyond that.  These women are only one tiny step away from the accepted standards of beauty, what my partner and I refer to as 'an agglomeration of the tropes of hotness'.  They are young, with great skin, long wavy hair, symmetrical, extremely beautiful faces, and their bodies go in and out in all the right places.  They dress in the 'sexy' way, and pose about in the 'sexy' way.  They exist for the same 'sexy' reason, and they are being exploited to make things appealing to men.  The only thing that marks them out as different from the normal, run-of-mill sexploitation is that they are wider.  Everything else is exactly the same.  That's my rant.

Which is why I sort of feel ashamed at having been taken in by these incredibly beautiful women, (Olivia Jensen, just...  wow...).  I didn't download the game which is something, but it did catch my eye.  Curses.  Still, it set me on the path to a draft with which I'm more or less happy, so that's something.

LMW

2 comments:

  1. I finally read it but I'm not sure I have any helpful feedback. It is well written and does what my prose cannot - namely: evoke emotion. I will attempt to get back to you with more helpful feedback but, for now, simply know that it was good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's good enough for me. I've let it stew for a bit, and once this week is out of the way I'll take another look. What I might do is spend a bit more time describing people's looks and outfits, as I feel it's a bit light on that sort of thing at the moment. Also, the Doctor / Dr problem.

    Good to know that it evokes emotion, though.

    LMW

    ReplyDelete